Helping Homebuyers with Michigan’s Next Home Down Payment Aid
The Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) understands the challenges faced by repeat homebuyers when it comes to securing a new home. To address this, MSHDA offers the MI Next Home Down Payment Assistance (DPA) program, a valuable resource tailored specifically for repeat homebuyers. This program provides vital assistance in the form of a zero-interest, non-amortizing loan, with no monthly payments required. The loan is only due when the property is sold, transferred, or if the first mortgage is refinanced or paid in full.
Key Program Features:
1. Financial Support: MI Next Home DPA offers eligible borrowers financial support for their down payment, making homeownership more accessible.
2. Maximum DPA: Borrowers can receive assistance up to the lesser of $7,500 or 4% of the sales price of the home, providing significant aid in the home-buying process.
3. Repeat Homebuyers: This program is exclusively designed for repeat homebuyers, recognizing the unique needs and circumstances they may face.
4. Zero-Interest Loan: The DPA loan is zero interest, easing the financial burden on borrowers.
5. Flexibility: Borrowers have the flexibility to use the assistance for various homeownership-related expenses, such as down payment and closing costs.
To qualify for MI Next Home DPA, applicants must meet specific criteria:
1. Repeat Homebuyers: Applicants must be repeat homebuyers, extending this valuable resource to those who have previously owned a home.
2. Minimum Credit Score: A minimum credit score of 660 is required, ensuring borrowers have a solid credit history.
3. Property Type: The program is available for traditional single-family homes; however, manufactured homes are not eligible.
4. Income Limits: Borrowers must adhere to the income limits, which vary based on family size and property location.
5. Sales Price Limit: The sales price of the property must not exceed $224,500 statewide.
6. Homebuyer Education: Completion of a homebuyer education course is mandatory, ensuring borrowers are well-informed throughout the homebuying process.
Michigan’s MI Next Home Down Payment Assistance Program is a lifeline for repeat homebuyers seeking to achieve homeownership once again. With its generous assistance, zero-interest loan, and commitment to providing support, this program empowers individuals and families to find their next home with confidence. For those who qualify, MI Next Home DPA represents an opportunity to take the next step in their homeownership journey.