Homeowner Assistance Program: New Extended Grant Deadline
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA – The City Council of Charlottesville is extending the filing deadline for the Charlottesville Homeowner Assistance Program (CHAP) grants to 5 p.m. on Friday, September 8, 2023. Designed to champion and sustain homeownership, these grants are targeting qualified homeowners who fall under the low to moderate-income brackets.
Excitingly, the grants offered could range between $1,000 to $2,500! The exact amount you could qualify for depends on your household’s IRS Form 1040 Adjusted Gross Income for the 2022 Tax Year.
Before applying, take a moment to check the eligibility criteria outlined below:
- Ownership and Residency: You must both legally own and reside in the property as of January 1 of the current year.
- Single Property Requirement: Neither you, your spouse, nor any co-owners living in the property can own any additional real estate.
- Home Value: The assessed value of your property for the current year must not exceed $460,000.
- Income Cap: Your household’s IRS Form 1040 Adjusted Gross Income for 2022 must be $60,000 or less.
- Income Verification: All adults in the home, including you, your spouse, any co-owners, or adult relatives, need to furnish a copy of the IRS Form 1040, or present income statements if you haven’t filed or are not required to file the IRS Form 1040.
For more information and to submit your application, head over to charlottesville.gov/1513/Real-Estate-Tax-Relief and click on the Homeowner (CHAP) tab.
For any queries or assistance, feel free to ring up (434) 970-3160.
Act now! With the extended deadline, you’ve got a golden opportunity to tap into this financial resource and make homeownership more manageable.