Kentucky Announces Launch of Homeowner Assistance Program
According to a news release, the Kentucky Housing Corporation is partnering with the state to provide assistance to homeowners impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. It’s a program funded by $85.4 million in federal funding from the American Rescue Plan act.
- Funds will be available until fully expended or September 30, 2025, whichever comes first.
- Homeowners must meet certain income guidelines. Check the income calculator to see if you qualify.
- Applicants must be living in the home, and were living in it during the pandemic hardship, for which they are applying for assistance.
- Utilities include electric, water, sewer and gas.
- To qualify, homeowners must work with a participating HAF housing counselor, who will walk them through the process.
- Homeowners must provide verification of income and an assessment of their home and property.
- All documents will be electronically signed.
For an overview of the program as well as other options to help you recover from the financial impacts of COVID, you can visit the state’s website. Also, for details about eligibility and documentation required for your application.
“Kentuckians’ homes have been critical during this pandemic and now as cases continue to go down, these funds help ensure each family has their home to help them recover,” Beshear said in a news release.
Applicants will be assigned to a housing counselor to assist homeowners. To qualify, applicants must be able to document a financial hardship after Jan. 21, 2020 due to COVID-19, live at the residence as their principal residence and lived there during the time of the hardship, and have an income at or below 150% of the area median income.
To be eligible for the Team Kentucky Homeowners Assistance Fund (HOAF) program, the applicant must have experienced and be able to document a financial hardship after January 21, 2020 due to COVID-19 and have an income less than 150% of the area median income (see chart below for details).
Applicants who have been affected by COVID-19 resulting in disability will provide the date of approval for disability.
How to apply?
The entire application process for this program can be completed online. Homeowners can sign up to receive a notification when the application portal opens at www.ProtectMyKYHome.org. This site contains all the information you will need to begin your application for assistance, with step‐by‐step instructions and prompts to help you.
You simply click “Get Free Help” and enter minimal information. Once completed, the system will assign a counselor to you and will then lead you to a list of documents to upload to the secure site. Your counselor will assist with uploading the required documents.
What’s the Required Documentation?
- State-issued photo ID
- One of the following may be used to verify income:
- Written attestation as to household income together with supporting documentation such as paystubs prior to the January 21, 2020 date and after which demonstrates the impact of the pandemic related event(s),
- W2s or other wage statements,
- IRS Form 1099s,
- 2019 tax filings,
- Depository institution statements demonstrating regular income, or
- An attestation from an employer.
- One of the following documentation types is required:
- Tax assessment reflecting value of real property,
- Appraisal (no time limit),
- Zillow.com or other website verifying value and real property, or
- Asset statements.
Once you upload a completed application with all the necessary documentation, your counselor will review and begin the submission process. Signatures will be completed by electronic signature. The entire process can take 45-days or more depending on the needs of the homeowners and the status of the completed application.