New York State Launches COVID Homeowner Assistance Fund: Here’s How to Apply
If you are a homeowner struggling to make the mortgage, property tax, or utility payments, Monday (January 3) is the first day New York will be accepting applications for the first-in-the-nation Homeowner Assistance Fund. This funding is coming from the Homeowner Assistance Fund, a federal program. Its purpose is to help homeowners experiencing financial hardship after January 21, 2020. All New York homeowners who are facing financial difficulties in making house payments due to the COVID-19 pandemic can apply. However, applications will be approved on a first-come, first-served basis.
According to Governor Kathy Hochul, “More than 9,000 New Yorkers are now hospitalized with COVID-19, surpassing the levels of January 2021’s peak surge and reaching levels not seen since May 2020 as omicron’s infectiousness continues to envelop the Empire State at a rapid pace.” “Those numbers are going to be much higher tomorrow. They didn’t go from, really, 90,000 to 51,000. That is simply a function of people not getting tested over the weekend,” Hochul said. “This is not the wave we saw last year, where it kept just going up and up. It’s just going straight up.”
Necessary Documents to Apply:
- Proof of Ownership/Property Type such as the following: Title Deed/ Grant Deed; Land Contract; Property Tax Bill; Mortgage Statement; Homeowner’s Insurance Policy; Co-op Lease (Proprietary Lease); HOA or Co-op Statement; and/or Heirship Documentation or Will.
- Proof of Identity such as a Passport; Social Security Card; Other Government-Issued Photo ID; Military ID; Naturalization Certificate; or Lawful Permanent Residency Card.
- Income Documentation — If applicable, you may be asked to provide proof that you or a permanent member of your household receives income-based benefits. This includes SNAP, HEAP, Public Assistance, or Section 8. If this does not apply, you have to provide tax returns for all adult members of your household who files, or to upload all income documents for all adult members of your household. This may include: W2, OR one most recent paycheck or pay stub, or a letter from an employer stating pay and hours for all adult members of the household; and/or IRS 1099 form for adult members of the household; pension or annuity benefits statement for all adult members of the household; and/or written lease or rent receipts for all rental units.
- Proof of Delinquency — Also, all applicants must provide proof that they are currently delinquent on monthly housing payments.
According to New York State Senate, you may be eligible if you are:
- Behind or in forbearance on your mortgage;
- Behind on payments for property taxes, water bills, or sewage bills;
- In default on a reverse mortgage;
- Behind on your monthly maintenance charges on your coop or condo;
- Behind on loans, installment contracts, or lot rent repayments for a manufactured home.
Online Application Portal Available in Ten Languages at www.nyhomeownerfund.org. You can also contact the NYS Homeowner Assistance Fund Call Center to apply at 1-844-77-NYHAF.