Veteran Homeowners in Need of COVID-related Financial Aid Can Benefit from State Fund

Veterans Financial Aid

The Indiana Homeowner Assistance Fund (IHAF) has been established as a vital resource for homeowners who have been financially impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. This program aims to mitigate the financial strain on homeowners and help prevent foreclosures and displacements. The IHAF is part of a broader national effort, being funded by the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA), with the assistance ceiling set at $50,000 per eligible household.

The support provided by IHAF is comprehensive, addressing multiple facets of homeownership. The fund provides assistance for mortgage delinquencies and offers up to six months of monthly payment aid. It also covers property taxes, homeowners insurance, homeowner association dues, and condominium fees, therefore providing a holistic solution for homeowners in need.

Qualification criteria for the IHAF is centered around three main aspects:

  1. Home Ownership: You should be the owner and inhabitant of a single-family home, condominium, a 2-, 3-, or 4-family dwelling, or a permanently affixed manufactured home within the state of Indiana.
  2. COVID-19 Impact: You, or a member of your household, must have experienced a reduction in income or an increase in living expenses after January 21, 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This could include circumstances such as job loss, reduction in working hours, increased childcare expenses, illness, or the necessity of taking care of a family member.
  3. Income Limits: You must meet the program’s income limits. Specifically, your income should be equal to or less than 150% of the Area Median Income adjusted for household size or 100% of the National Median Income, whichever is higher.

To apply for this assistance or learn more about it, visit If you require support with your application, including language assistance or reasonable accommodations, you can call 877-GET-HOPE from Monday to Friday, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Additionally, you can consult with a nonprofit housing counseling agency that can guide you through the application process. A comprehensive list of these housing counseling agencies can be found at

For individuals interested in volunteering for the DAV van or those requiring help in filing a VA disability claim, or for any queries about federal, state, or local veterans benefits, please get in touch with my office. For assistance, you can contact Steven Miller, Monroe County Veteran Service Officer, at 812-349-2537 or via email at [email protected].

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments