Tipton, McNairy, Haywood, and Hardeman Counties Eligible for FEMA Aid: Home Renters and Owners Can Apply Now

Tennessee Fema Grants

In light of the severe storms and tornadoes that swept through Tipton, Hardeman, McNairy, and Haywood counties in Tennessee between March 31 and April 1, 2023, residents who suffered damage to their homes and properties are encouraged to apply for disaster assistance through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). This aid is not limited to homeowners alone but extends to renters as well, including students living in rental properties, according to the latest press release from FEMA.

Apart from the aforementioned counties, FEMA disaster assistance also extends to several other regions affected by the stormy weather. This includes residents of Lewis, Hardin, Macon, Rutherford, Cannon, and Wayne counties who have similarly been impacted by the natural disasters.

One of the main ways FEMA’s Individual Assistance program can help is through federal grants designed to provide funds for temporary housing. Renters displaced by the weather events can apply for an initial rental grant, which covers a one-month or two-month period, and this can be reassessed for additional assistance if required.

Another financial assistance opportunity for renters is the FEMA’s Other Needs Assistance program. This initiative caters to those who have uninsured essential personal property losses or other disaster-related expenses. Examples of these can include the repair or replacement of necessary personal items such as furniture, appliances, clothing, textbooks or school supplies. Additionally, for those who are self-employed, the program also offers assistance for the replacement or repair of essential job-related equipment and tools.

For those whose primary vehicle was damaged by the storms to the point of no longer being operable, there may be help available through FEMA, provided the vehicle complies with state registration and insurance requirements. However, it should be noted that not all damage is covered, so individuals are advised to check with FEMA directly to see if their vehicle is eligible.

Additionally, renters can also turn to the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) for financial aid. The SBA provides disaster loans which renters can borrow, up to a maximum of $40,000, to replace damaged or destroyed personal property such as clothing, furniture, appliances or cars. However, before applying to the SBA, renters must first apply to FEMA.

To apply for FEMA disaster assistance, there are several convenient options:

  1. Visit the FEMA’s official website, DisasterAssistance.gov.
  2. Download and use the FEMA mobile app, available on both iOS and Android platforms.
  3. Call the Disaster Assistance Helpline at 800-621-3362.

In the wake of these storms and tornadoes, residents of the affected counties are encouraged to make use of these resources to help them recover and rebuild their lives.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments